Robusta & Arabica coffee in Vietnam

Vietnam is the world’s second-largest exporter of coffee, mostly Robusta. Robusta is almost twice as strong caffeine wise, with a thick lingering taste and higher acidity. The strong taste, a thicker brew, and a few over-roasted beans makes for a different, distinctive taste.

Vietnamese coffee is one of a kind, with extra strong and savory, it sells like hot cake both locally and abroad. Coffee lovers, who have toured Vietnam, found their coffee pulse rising every time they tried Vietnamese coffee. The smack of flavorful and musky coffee will take you literally to the sky and back. No wonder, the people of Vietnam are always friendly and welcoming.

But the question is: what makes Vietnamese coffee so flavorsome?

Some baristas will argue it is because of the filter drips. However, the traditional roasting process essentially makes for the distinctively strong taste.

Background and Statistics of Coffee Exports in Vietnam

For the past few decades, the manufacturing of coffee in Vietnam has turned out to be a significant export industry. Reports indicate that Vietnam is ranked as the second largest coffee producer in the entire world. Vietnam exports about 95% of its coffee produce, which amounts to billions of US dollars in revenue annually.

Coffee was first brought to Vietnam in the year 1857 by the French. Coffee was found to thrive in the country due to its favorable climatic conditions. In this regard, the production of coffee became the order of the day and by 19th century, Vietnam was doing large scale coffee production. Soon, in 1920s, Tay Nguyen, which is located in the central highland region of Vietnam, was established as the most preferred location for planting coffee. The area was earmarked for coffee production.

Why is Vietnam’s coffee industry so well-developed?

Vietnam is considered to be one of the world’s leaders in coffee production having around 500,000 hectares that bring thousands of tons of high-quality coffee beans. Though Vietnam’s coffee industry gets stable support from the state, the market remains liberal which makes it a profitable investment opportunity for foreign institutions. In addition, Vietnam offers favorable climate conditions that boost coffee growth and production year by year.

Vietnam is mainly famous for its tender Robusta coffee accounting for over 95% of the total output, while the remaining 5% is made up by high-quality Arabica coffee. Currently, much of Vietnam’s Arabica is Catimor; however, one of Catimor’s parents is a Robusta-Arabica hybrid.

Coffee Regions in Vietnam

Coffee in Vietnam is produced mainly in the following regions: Central Highlands, North Vietnam, and South Vietnam. These regions are known to have favorable climate and weather conditions that are ideal for farming coffee. 

How Coffee is Produced, Processed and Stored in Vietnam

The top secret about the quality of the coffee served in Vietnam is hidden in its unique method of production, processing and storage. The production process and the blend of coffee beans give Vietnamese coffee its distinctive taste and aroma. A lot of Vietnamese coffee beans plantations are found in Da Lat, which is christened the “Europe of Vietnam.” This is owing to garden-fresh climate and hilly landscape with the right temperatures for the growth of coffee.

Exportation of Coffee in Vietnam

The exportation of Vietnam’s coffee in the year 2019 and 2020 is estimated at about 28 million bags. This includes roasted, grounded as well as instant coffee. 

How much coffee is exported from Vietnam?

Vietnam is currently on the second place among the top coffee producers in the world. More than 26 million bags a year is exported to other countries, such as the US, Germany and Italy.

(Source: MOVETOASIA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *